Thursday, November 24, 2016

INTENTIONAL GRATITUDE

No comments Share It:
Jekyll Island, Georgia


“That was the day she made herself the promise to live more from intention and less from habit”

Near the beginning of this year that quote jumped out at me while I was mindlessly spending time on Pinterest one evening. At the time I took it to mean we have to create the life we want, live outside of our comfort zones, explore more and settle less. I still believe that, but at this season where giving thanks and gratitude discussions seem to be everywhere, this quote (it’s not attributed to anyone) again came to mind.



“Gratitude is about attitude” and “perfect circumstances don’t lead to happiness” are themes we hear over and over again. Yet, at least in my case, it’s something that can be hard to put into practice because it’s the problems, the things that seem to be going wrong, that remind us of their presence every morning and night. So I’m trying to be more intentional not just with my actions, but with my mindset as well. This involves shifting from what isn’t there to all that is there, because I have so very much to be thankful for. I’m trying to learn to appreciate imperfect gifts. It may not all be how I planned, but this life is still a gift.



“Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.” –Mandy Hale


When this posts I’ll be in Chicago doing one of the things I love most, traveling. I’m so thankful for that wandering spirit and that I was born a woman in a country where that is possible. Since I’m away from home for Thanksgiving my family did a meal early for me. They’re my biggest supporters and the single biggest blessing in my life. I’m traveling with one of my best friends. I’ve made so many new friends in the past six months, and I’ve been reassured that my old friends will always be there. Thinking of that will always put a smile on my face.

Last Thanksgiving

Atlanta
Gettysburg, PA

My career brings me joy every day in one way or another. Deciding to go into education was probably the best decision I ever made. At the end of the day I come home to my new apartment in an area of the city I love. Life is exciting. I’ve been to so many new places, seen so many sunsets, had deep conversations, heard a lot of live music, connected with people, and just lived…with intention.


Topsail Island, NC

Perhaps I’m most grateful for this intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment